06 June 2011

The Treasures of Hungarian Museums…



Date of Issue : 18 May 2011 

The Magyar Posta issued a set of two stamps on 18 May 2011 featuring famous items from famous Hungarian Museums.

The Rákóczi Museum operates as an affiliate of the Hungarian National Museum in Sárospatak. The castle of the Rákóczi family is today the most significant Rákóczi-linked location in Hungary, more than one hundred thousand people visit it every year. The permanent exhibition of the "golden age of the Rákóczi family" is the most detailed and the richest collection in the subject with regards to artefacts. Among the permanent exhibitions it is important to mention the exhibition on grape growing and wine making.

The  objects and motifs of the Rákóczi Museum in Sárospatak appear on the HUF 280 stamp, from left to right: a stove tile made by the Haban potters settled in town quarter known as Héce by György Rákóczi I (17th c.); the building of the Rákóczi castle: the inner castle courtyard with the red Tower (16th c.) and the Lorántffy lodge; Head of the angel from the north gate of the Old Palace (16th c.); a product from the glassworks established by Ferenc Rákóczi II, a thread-decorated glass jug (19th c.); a shark-decorated glass with the coat of arms of the Mikes family (1682) and also from the glassworks established by Ferenc Rákóczi II a glassworks glass (18th c.)

The Hungarian Chemistry Museum was established in 1963 by the Ministry of Heavy Industry with the purpose of collecting the Hungarian memories of the chemical industry and the science of chemistry, to keep them safe and make them accessible for the generations to come. It has been in operation in the Thury castle since 1969. Since being established it has retained its curiosity and operates as Central Europe's only independent museum of chemistry.

The order of the motifs forming the stamp image of the Várpalota Museum of Chemistry on the HUF 385 stamp are, from left to right: the certificate of Lajos Ilosvay (1851-1936) a prominent figure in Hungarian education in chemistry and medicine; the museum building, Thury castle; János Bánffy-Hunyady (1578-1646) Hungarian alchemist living in London; pharmacy vessels from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries and a mercury air pump from the bequest of Károly Than.

News from our Readers..

Special Covers from Andhra Pradesh

a special cover was released by Numismatic and Philatelic Society of East Godvari, Andhra Pradesh with the famous Annavaram Temple with the cancellation of the Temple Structure. This was released on the occasion of the East Godavari Numismatic and Philatelic Exhibition held in 2009.


Special Cover with Cancellation of Annavaram Temple

Date of Issue : 26 June 2011

Special Cover with Cancellation of Annavaram Temple

Annavaram village is situated on the banks of the Pampa River in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh in India.Annavaram is located at a distance of 125 KM from Visakhapatnam and 80 KM from Rajahmundry. National Highway number 5 passes through Annavaram. The bypass road (NH - 5) goes straight and to visit the temple take right turn in the junction near the Annavaram. It takes two and half hours from Visakhapatnam and from Rajahmundry side it will take 2 hours. Separate pooja halls are available for offering special pujas.

Annavaram Sri Veera Venkata Satyanarayana Swamy Temple
The most distinctive feature of Annavaram is the shrine to Lord Veera Venkata Satyanarayana Swamy on the hill top. The name of the Goddess is Ananta-lakshmi Satyavathi Ammavaru.
National Highway (NH)-5 pass via Annavaram. The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) operates regular bus services from Kakinada to Tuni, Rajahmundry to Tuni, and Yele-swaram to Tuni via Annavaram. Important
trains links of the South Central Railways (SCR) passing through are the Vijayawada-Vishakapatnam Ratnachal superfast express, the Chennai-Howrah Mail, Kolkata-Chennai halt at Annavaram, which is the nearest railway station about 2 miles from the temple. The temple, situated on the hill top is about four furlongs away from its base. It can be reached either by steps covered with canopy, via ghat road or trekked through a rusty stone paved trail road.


The popularity and importance of the temple is gaining among the pilgrims and this place is considered as second only to Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh. Festivals are celebrated round the year at this temple with great pomp and show. Some of the popular festivals celebrated are the Kalyanam festival in May, Devi Navaratri festival in September, the Swayamvara Vardhanti of Sraavana Suddha Ekadashi Day, Srirama Kalyana, Kanakadurga Yatra, Prabha Utsavam, Teppa Utsavam and Jalatoranam.
The serene atmosphere of the temple and its surroundings captivate devotees of Lord Veera Venkata Satya-narayana Swamy. The prasadam offered to the devotees has a wonderful taste that cannot be replicated.
Etymology of Annavaram
Anna means whatever you say or you desire and varam means boon, hence whatever you desire will be given as boon by the deity.
Ratnagiri rupaya Ramasatyadevaya Mahashakthi yantraya Bakthakalpavrukshaya


The Brochure of the Special cover of Annavaram Temple

:  Cdr G.Sriramarao, I.N (Retd), Vishakhapatnam

2 Different Khadi Stamps

Gandhi Khadi MS

Here is a set of 2 different Khadi stamps with totally different portrait Of "Mahatma Gandhi". Left side looks normal but on Right side, the portrait is stretched vertically and the stretch is also visible on Charka.

- Er.Hemant KumarJain, Civil Lines,Mandla (M.P.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails