MaltaPost will release a philatelic miniature sheet bearing one stamp to commemorate the ANZAC Centenary on 25 April 2015. The stamp on the miniature sheet illustrates a Red Cross nurse attending to a wounded soldier together with two other soldiers on either side. The stamp within the miniature sheet bears a face value of €3.59.
The Gallipoli Campaign (Battle of Gallipoli) took place at the Gallipoli Peninsula between 1915 and 1916 and involved British and French troops as well as divisions of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC). The battle was thought to put an early end to the Great War by creating a new front that the Ottoman-German alliance would not cope with.
Malta played a significant role in the Gallipoli battle, not just as a back-up base for the Royal Navy but also as one of the major hospitals in the Mediterranean. Around 800 Maltese volunteers went to Gallipoli as muleteers or to dig the trenches and some even fought within the Australian ranks or worked as stevedores unloading the ships. This effort is considered to be Malta’s greatest contribution to the Allies’ efforts during that terrible war.
Special Picture post cards set from Karnataka Postal Circle
' Wooden Carvings at Karanji Mansion' Postal training centre, Mysuru
A set of 23 post cards was released recently by Karnataka postal circle. The cost of the set of these Postcards is Rs 100.
The royal family of Mysore Maharajas constructed “Karanji Mansion", the construction of which was started in the year 1902 and completed in the year 1914. This palatial building was built for Krishnarajammanniyavaru, the second Maharajakumari, (second sister of the Maharaja);
The land was acquired by Chamaraja Wadiyar, the Maharaja of Mysore, and further handed over the possession of the land to Princess Krishnarajammnniyavaru. Thereafter Col. J. Desaraj Urs, the husband of the said princess Krishnarajammanni, constructed the property and building known as" Karanji Mansion". It was in his possession ever since till his death in 1923.
"Karanji Mansion" was purchased by the Postal Department on 20.8.1964 from Smt. Rajukumari L Desaraj Urs, widow of late Col. Rajkumar C. Desraj Urs. and Rajkumar Prithviraj Urs son of late Col. Rajkumar C Desaraj Urs. Postal Training Centre is functioning in this building since 20.4.1965.
The building commands a vast setting and a view of Karanji Lake. The elevation is remarkable for highly ornate features and painstakingly executed embellishments - a variety of cusped arches and sun-shades, stone-hewn balconies, each resting on a lotus base, intricately carved stone columns, brackets and parapet merlons. A rich mix of Saracenic and Hindu elements, each somewhat overdone but all of them combining to produce a balanced and quaintly pleasing elevation. A Section of the Mansion show subtly varying stylistic features. The wing on the left is predominantly Rajasthani, with its lotus-based and curvilinear-chhajjaed balconies, while the entrance-porch block has dominant shades of the Saracenic - the slender- pillared twin arches, domicals and the Moorish lancet-windows. "Karanji Mansion" building has completed 100 years of it construction in the year 2014.
- Suresh .R – Bengaluru email : firstname.lastname@example.org