03 September 2013

Nature Protection



Date of Issue : 4 September 2013

The Post of Czech Republic will issue 4 stamps and a miniature sheet on 4th September 2013 on nature Protection featuring Karlštejn National Nature Reserve. The stamps feature a variety of flora fauna found in this area. Another stamp will be issued tomorrow on 700 Years of the Town of Nový Jičín.

Subject of the stamps:
  1. Dracocephalum austriacum and Chorthippus vagans - CZK 10
  2. Oenanthe oenanthe - CZK 14
  3. Polyommatus coridon, Colias crocea and Pulsatilla pratensis - CZK 18
  4. Karlštejn castle and Rosa gallica

image   image image

The Karlštejn National Nature Reserve (1,547 ha) was established in 1955. It covers the area between the town of Beroun and the villages of Vráž, Mořina, Karlštejn and Srbsko, within the Český kras (Bohemian Karst) Protected Landscape Area (128 km2) established later in 1972. The prevailing geological profile consists of limestone rocks with jagged karst canyons, ravines and numerous caves. The area was first populated as early as 40 thousand years ago. The thermophilic plants growing in the reserve are typical of the Mediterranean regions. Some local species, such as the pyramidal orchid (Anacamptis pyramidalis), the Austrian dragonhead (Dracocephalum austriacum), and rare orchid species, are unique and cannot be found anywhere else in Bohemia. Local animals include numerous rare species, such as over 200 species of carabid beetles; two amphibians, the great crested newt (Triturus cristatus) and the less frequent Alpine newt (Triturus alpestris); and the endangered wallcreeper (Tichodroma muraria) as a representative of birds.


700 Years of the Town of Nový Jičín


Date of Issue : 4 September 2013

Nový Jičín is a district capital in the Moravian-Silesian region. It is located on the Jičínka river. In 1967, Nový Jičín was declared a town conservation area and in 2001, the Historical Town of the Year. Nový Jičín (the first written evidence of the attribute “Nový”, or “New” in English, dates back to 1397) was likely established between 1267 and 1278 below the castle Starý Jičín (“Starý” means “Old” in English) The square-shaped town square and the regular grid of streets show proof that the town was founded by Přemysl Ottokar II, King of Bohemia, as a greenfield project.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails