09 October 2013

World Post Day–A Special letter to Malala,the brave girl

 

  image image

Today is World Post Day. On this day letter writing is encouraged and  International Letter week is observed every year in the month of October during World Post Day. Letter Writing Week spans the one-week period that includes 9 October, the anniversary of the inauguration of the UPU.  UPU focuses more on the International letter-writing competition for young people (established 1969) and World Post Day.

image

I am sharing here a special letter written to Malala Yousafzai who is one of hot favourites for Nobel Peace Prize 2013.The award is to be announced on October 11, only two days after 9th of October when this brave young supporter of girl education was shot last year. “I am Malala” the book on the life and struggle of the brave young girl, born on July 12 1997, is also to be launched on October 9.

image

Here is letter to Malala from a student and friend of Malala Yousafzai from Serbia.

Dear Malala,

I don't even know how to start this letter. I want to tell you so many things. First of all, let me tell you how much I admire you. You're one of the bravest girls I ever met. I’m sure you heard this words like X times, but never mind. I think you're one of your kind.

Just a few months ago I didn't know who you were, till I read the news about you being shot by Taliban. It was so terrible news. I'm 17 years old, so we're almost coevals. That’s why I can understand you even better. So, when I heard that news, I was sure you'd die and I felt so discouraged. I thought that one smart and brave girl would die for no reason. Later on, when I heard you had survived, I was very happy. I prayed God for you, my friend, if I can call you that. So, after the accident you had, I started following the news about you. I found out you were a girl from Pakistan, who was fighting for her future and I felt such an admiration. You passed through so many things so far and survived almost every kind of pain.

I wish you had a happier life, but never mind. All that struggle made you stronger. One of my favorite quotes is : “What doesn't kill you, make you stronger.”You proved it in practice. You didn't let anyone to prevent you and you’re a real life example that we can fulfill any of our dreams if we only want to. We can even move mountains, cross rivers, fly to the Moon… You proved that a girl can do so many things and you did so many of them. You showed the world who we girls actually are and that our voice is heard and that it must be heard. We’re not a minority, we’re independent enough to pass through life depending on ourselves only. I have always thought education was the most important thing in the life and I’m glad to have found one person who shares my point of view. That is you, Malala.

As you said : “One teacher, one student, one book and one pencil can change the world. “

The key to the brighter future is in the knowledge, in books, in words. You showed me some new aspects of life and learnt me that no matter where do we come from, we can succeed and get a good knowledge. Thank you.

I can just imagine how hard it was to stand up and express your opinion in front of so many uneducated people, who’re afraid of changes. Fear is the biggest enemy, but you won it. You helped people to realize how they powerful are, how they can give their own contribution to the world’s improvement and change it to better.

They must had many wrong prejudices about girl’s place in the world and their rights, their freedom and their chance to get education. Thanks to you, they’re slowly changing that ancient and biased opinion, and although there’re left so many things to be done, you made a huge step, the hardest step-the first step. Well done!

Thanks to you I realized how life can be so hard in some parts of the world and I learnt to more appreciate the things God gave me. I realized how lucky I actually were. I had the chance to study and to wide my views every day. Is there anything more valuable?

I’m now aware how many children in the world lack education and I’m aware of their struggle for survival. I wish we all could get the free education. I strongly believe that we girls' re-born to be leaders and to show this world it needs us. After you, so many girls started to think about themselves and their position in the society and thanks to you, they decided to do something and change all the things they can. You were their illumination, Malala. You showed them they could do better. You’re the best role model for girls around the world, not for those who’re lacking education only, but also for those who’re afraid of the world, who can’t stand for their rights. You showed them everything is possible. Isn’t it?

Never give up, keep doing this great work. I'm sure you'll be a great leader and one of the most powerful women in the world in a few years.

I want to congratulate you for the International Peace Award you got, well done. You deserved it.

I hope we’ll meet at University of Oxford one day.

Best wishes from your Serbian friend,

Natalija Sokolov

Read More…

It was October 9, 2012 when Malala along with other students was returning home in a school car that was intercepted by armed men in Mingora. After asking about Malala, an armed man opened fire, hitting her in the skull. Two other girls, Kainat and Shazia, also suffered bullet wounds.

They were rushed to the District Headquarters Hospital wherefrom Malala was airlifted to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) in Peshawar within next few hours. She remained in coma throughout while millions across Pakistan and the world were praying for her life.

The young and brave supporter of girl education defeated death by making a remarkable recovery after remaining in coma for several days at the Combined Military Hospital. She was later taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, UK. With every passing day, she is receiving a popular award from across the world.

Today, Malala is in the race for the Nobel Peace Prize as the youngest ever candidate.

 

Malala Yousafzai UN Speech: Girl Shot by Taliban Gives Address

 

 

image

New stamp on Mahatma Gandhi from India Post

imageA MINIATURE SHEET COST RS. 20/- ON MAHATMA GANDHI WILL  BE RELEASED BY INDA POST ON 12-10-2013 TO BE COMMEMORATED AS PHILATELY DAY.

A SPECIAL STAMP RELEASE FUNCTION WILL BE ORGANIZED IN MEGHDOOTH HALL, BANGALORE GPO ON 12-10-2013.

A SMALL PHILATELIC DISPLAY  ON POSTAL SERVICES WILL BE ARRANGED IN TRIVANDRUM PHILATELIC BUREAU FROM 10-10-2013 IN CONNECTION WITH NATIONAL POSTAL DAY.

- Sreejesh Krishnan – Trivandrum

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails