Date of Issuer : 15 July 2014
The International Congress of Mathematicians
The International Congress of Mathematicians 2014 (ICM 2014) will be held in Seoul, Republic of Korea, August 13-21, 2014.The International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) is the largest congress in the mathematics community. It is held once every four years under the auspices of the International Mathematical Union (IMU). The Fields Medals, the Nevanlinna Prize, the Gauss Prize, and the Chern Medal are awarded during the opening ceremony on the first day of the congress. Each congress is memorialized by printed Proceedings recording academic papers based on invited talks intended to reflect the current state of the science.
Popular Mathematical theorems on stamps
The SEOUL ICM 2014 Organizing Committee issued commemorative stamp on July 15, 2014. The stamp contains popular mathematical theorems. The SEOUL ICM 2014 stamp collections will be sold in the souvenir desk during the congress.
2014 Seoul International Competition commemorative stamp depicts such universal laws and mathematical theorems:
- Pythagorean theorem: the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides
- Hanbut drawing on Euler’s theorem to all four sides of the Euler circuit in the graph only once through a single path, returning to the starting point in passing
- Pascal’s Triangle conceals a huge number of patterns, many discovered by Pascal himself and even known before his time.
SINGAPORE 2015 is the 3rd World Stamp Exhibition to be held in Singapore. It is to be held in conjunction with Singapore’s 50th Year of Independence, with the full support and patronage of the Federation lnternationale de Philatelie (FIP) and under the auspices of the Federation of Inter-Asian Philately (FIAP).
Singapore last hosted the World Stamp Exhibition in 1995 and the inaugural World Stamp Championship in 2004. Gathering the experience of both exhibitions and with effort to commemorate Singapore’s Golden Jubilee in 2015, Singapore managed to bid for the hosting rights of this event successfully. Singpex Pte Ltd is the appointed organizer for this event.
For more details visit : http://www.singapore2015.com/the_show.php
- Display from the archives of the Singapore Philatelic Museum.
- Exhibits from distinguished collections showing the development of Singapore's 180 years of postal history and stamps.
- Exhibits of world-wide award winning collections.
14 - 19 August 2015
Venue : Sands Expo & Convention Center
Association of Singapore Philatelists