23 April 2011

Tributes to great authors of the world on World Book Day !!

 
 
 
 
 


b7

Rabindranath Tagore

Philatelic Tributes to great authors of the world on World Book Day… Many of us might have read the books by these great authors sometime in our life …. It is a day to remember their contribution in the field of literature …. and pay tributes to them on this very special day..

image

Munshi Premchand

b7

b7

William Shakespeare

book 12

Charles Dickens

book 1

Great woman authors : Charlotte Bronte, George Eliot, Emily Bronte,Elizabeth Gaskell

b7

Anton Pavlovich Chekhov & Leo Tolstoy

Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was one of the greatest physician and playwrights because of his works. According to a letter Chekhov wrote to his friend: “Medicine is my lawful wife, and literature is my mistress. When I get fed up with one, I spend the night with the other. Though it is irregular, it is less boring this way, and besides, neither of them loses anything through my infidelity.”

Born in Ukraine, this writer of short stories has published more stories than any other writer has done, some of them include The Betrothed, Zinotchka, The Tutor, A Naughty Boy and The Bishop.

Leo Tolstoy or Count Lyev Nikolayevich Tolstoy, on the other hand is a great novelist. His masterpieces which are War and Peace and Anna Karenina are one of the most sought after novels worldwide. These books represent the life and attitude of Russia in the 19th century.

Books…..

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.

- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926), The Happy Life, 1896

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.

- Arnold Lobel

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails