25 July 2009

More Rainbows in my collection…

 

scan0016

Hi ! In today’s Post I want to share some more nice stamps on Rainbow, one of my favourite themes these days. The stamp shown above is the very first Rainbow stamp from Israel that I ever collected but it was not in my notice. This is one of those stamps that I collected during  my school days and I well remember that stamp. I was looking for this stamp since a long time in my own collection recently I got it…Now has become to be very special for me as it is giving me nostalgia of my school days…and I still remember a small shop in Kanpur from where I used to purchase foreign stamps while returning from school…..So it means lot to me as in those days I never knew that some day that stamp will become so special to me…Coming back to my other recent stamps on Rainbow ….These are some beautiful stamps, so kindky sent by our very distinguished member Mr Jagannath Mani from Bangalore. Thanks Mr Mani for sending me such a lovely cover of UNO and nice stamps depicting the colours of Rainbow…. The cover was issued to commemorate World Summit on Sustainable Development by United Nations Postal Administration.

scan0014

Thanks to Mr Jagannath Mani, Bangalore

Mr Mani has written some beautiful lines about Rainbow which I want to share with all of you…

while  explaining the physics of Rainbow my  physics teacher taught us few interesting thought of life related with rainbow which I want to share with you "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" and in fact it gives us light of seven colours, and my Art teacher taught us when we wish get a colour of white we have to mix the seven colours of  Rainbow, in such way we should work by joining hands to achieve at least "something is better than nothing" these two thoughts   come to my mind when ever I see a rainbow ……

Thanks Mr Mani for such beautiful thoughts its really nice to go through it…..Hope my readers would love to read it too…Here are some other nice stamps….

scan0015.jpg ra ra

 

Rainbow diffr 1

Well these are the beautiful stamps depicting the rainbow colours,  and can be well shown to explain the phenomenon causing a Rainbow, though these stamps were issued on a topic of very high level Physics subject related with the study of Einstein but I am giving here in a very simpler form that I studied in Physics at school level .

The Rainbow Formation

When light travels from one medium to another, it bends. In other words, it changes direction and moves at different speeds in different mediums. This property of light is called “refraction”. We also know that white light is made up of different colours. Different colors of light have different frequencies. Except in vacuum and air, they travel at different speeds in different mediums.


If you were to allow a beam of light to pass through a simple prism, it will bend when it enters the prism, when it leaves the prism it bends again. The different colours of the white light travel with different speeds inside the prism. The slanted surfaces of the prism makes the different colours emerge separately, thus in addition to bending light as a whole, a prism separates white light into its component colors. This splitting of light into its component colours is called dispersion, where prism is a dispersing element.


This is exactly what happens when the sun rays hit droplets of water. When the sunlight strikes a raindrop, the light is refracted (bent) because the light is moving from one medium(air) to another( water). Drops of rainwater can disperse light in the same way as a prism.. When the light comes out of the water droplet, the sun's rays (white light)have now been split into their component wavelengths (colors). In this way, each individual raindrop behaves just like a prism, dispersing white sunlight into its seven component colors and a rainbow is formed.
The rainbow we see is thus a result of many, many raindrops bending the sun's rays.

Here is one more stamp that I don’t have in my collection and I wish to have it….It was issued to commemorate YIP Harburg who wrote the lyrics of the famous song  ‘ Somewhere over the Rainbow of famous film of Judy Garland“ The Wizard of OZ “. Well after seeing this nice stamp I saw this film and found it wonderful….

05_yharburg37_d

When all the world is a hopeless jumble
And the raindrops tumble all around
Heaven opens a magic lane
When all the clouds darken up the skyway
There's a rainbow highway to be found
Leading from your window pane
To a place behind the sun
Just a step beyond the rain


Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true
Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me


Somewhere over the rainbow blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow
Why oh why can't I?

Well the July – August…the months of Rain are  all around ….Let’s hope to see a beautiful Rainbow someday…..

This is all for the Day ….Till Next Post …..Have a Great Time !!

 

1 comment:

Meenu Khare said...

Hey Jyoti! 9th September is my Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails